If you’re an end user or business leader, you know that IT pros wait on us hand and foot every day, so on the inaugural IT Professionals Day this September 15, let’s honor these unsung heroes of modern business by reversing roles a bit by treating them like IT royalty. And if you’re struggling to think of ways to honor your IT pros, look no further. Here are some ideas:
- Shower them with gifts: Gift cards to their favorite restaurants or coffee shops (they’ve probably missed a lot of lunch and coffee breaks over the years because of the constant demands on their time), online shopping sites (because, let’s face it, they love technology and are always looking to pick up the latest gadgets), or even a spa (because they surely endure more than their fair share of headaches on a daily basis) are a great idea. You could also create custom swag just for them, like t-shirts, awards, trophies and mouse pads. You could always give them desk plants, too, since they spend so much time in the office that they aren’t able to leave the office and experience actual nature. Get creative!
- Wine and dine: Get your IT pros out of the office on this special day by treating them to a nice meal (and some beverages) to recognize their tireless work. If you can’t get out of the office, order in!
- Arrange an IT outing: Set aside some time for your IT pros to enjoy an out-of-office leisure activity like a movie, on the company, of course.
- Roll out the red carpet: Surprise your IT pros with VIP treatment when they walk into the office. Treat them like the IT rock stars they are with a welcome party, streamers, balloons, noise makers and all. If you can swing it, maybe have a limo make the rounds to pick them all up and enjoy a ride in style to the office.
- Send a company-wide email: Honor your IT pros by sending a thank you email to your IT pros to the entire company, reminding everyone about IT Professionals Day on the third Tuesday of every September (and feel free to share some of these ideas with them).
- Get personal: Recall a memory when IT saved the day—a time when you would have been in a bad situation if it weren’t for your IT pros’ technological prowess—and share it with them either in person or via email. Bring tissues.
- Host an IT happy hour: Get the company together to officially toast IT for all of their hard work.
- Make an IT cheat sheet for end users: We’ve all had a seemingly serious IT issue that our IT pros were able to simply resolve by turning our computer off and on again, enabling WiFi and yes, even simply plugging the cord. So, create and share a cheat sheet for end users to show your IT pros that you’ve got their back (this will be greatly appreciated).
- If all else fails, simply say “thank you”: It’s amazing how far a simple “thank you” can go. And knowing how great IT pros are, chances are they’ll return the gratitude with a thank you of their own for the hard work you do, too.
Hopefully this has gotten your creative juices flowing! We can’t wait to hear how you honor your IT pros on September 15. And don’t forget, to share your stories and photos of how you and your IT pros celebrate IT Professionals Day with the world using the #ITProDay hashtag!